PhacoOptics ® Version 220.127.116.110-35 release information September 2019
READ ONLY error af Windows update !!
It appears that newer Windows 10 updates without notice might convert the attributes of the .crx data files into READONLY causing serious troubles for retrieving and saving data files to diskThe issue has been fixed by deleting the READONLY attibute during each read/write operation
The IOL database has been updated with a number of newer IOL types
PhacoOptics ® Version 18.104.22.1680-35 release information May 2018
These updates relates to several updates in the IOL file, now supporting a global selection of IOLs.
PS: Due to hacker infiltration on our server, the homepage has been down for several months since we had to redesign the whole webpage and move it to another server. It should be up running again.
PhacoOptics ® Version 22.214.171.1249 release information December 2016
Toric calculation. The calculation of the toric outcome has been updated based on recent evidence of the posterior cylinder of the cornea:
– When no information is available on the posterior cylinder, PhacoOptics will use a regression algorithm to estimate the magnitude and direction of the posterior corneal cylinder. This is an improvement over earlier versions that simply added 0.4 D cyl @ 90 in all cases according to the old Javal’s rule.
– When measurements on the posterior K’s are available (i.e. from Pentacam, Galilei, OCT or other devices) PhacoOptics can use this information directly allowing for an assumption-free prediction.
PhacoOptics ® Version 126.96.36.1998 release information July 2016
PhacoOptics now supports data transfer with the new Pentacam AXL optical biometer allowing for the measurement of axial length in addition to the anterior segment measurements.
– In some earlier versions it was possible to leave the user and password fields blank during program access. However, for security reasons user and password information is again mandatory. As before, default user is ‘phaco’ and password is ‘optics’, which can be changed in the program settings.
PhacoOptics ® Version 188.8.131.527 release information March 2016
A bug omitting some of the fields of the IOL calculation tab-sheet from the report design was fixed
PhacoOptics ® Version 184.108.40.2066 release information January 2016
A bug causing a wrong K-reading import from the Topcon Aladdin optical biometer has been fixed.
PhacoOptics ® Version 220.127.116.113-25 release information November 2015
These releases largely contain updates on the data transfer from a number of optical biometers now commercially available. PhacoOptics now supports a data bridge with the following instruments:
The program has been tested to run under Window 8 as well under Windows 10. However, special fixes may apply to make the on-line context sensitive help system work under recent Windows versions. The fixes are described in the Manual
– Bug fixes on the data paths settings for export and report settings.
– More IOL types have been added to the default list as the information on the physical properties has become available.
PhacoOptics ® Version 18.104.22.1682 release information November 2014
The following changes have been made
– The impact of a toric IOL based on anterior corneal astigmatism only has been modified according to newer knowledge on the average vector component of the posterior corneal astigmatism.
– A bug causing the program to hang during import from Oculus Pentacam © in case of zero K-values has been fixed
– The import from the Ziemer Galilei G6 © has been improved using validated values for the corneal thickness and the ACD
PhacoOptics ® Version 22.214.171.1240-21 release information July 2014
Support for Ziemer Galilei G6 © import has been added. Minor bug fixes in the report function
PhacoOptics ® Version 126.96.36.1999 release information March 2014
Saving a record to disk has been made more efficient and with no major delay. In earlier version saving a record could be delayed especially on a network due to slow file operation.
PhacoOptics ® Version 188.8.131.528 release information November 2013
This version contains
1) Updated IOL list with new IOL types from popular manufacturers. The toric power can now be preset in the IOL database and used for the individual IOL calculation to save extra work. Some of the toric IOLs from main manufacturers have also been included in the IOL database. A modification of the installation program allows the user of registered versions to merge and/or overwrite existing IOL definitions.
PhacoOptics ® Version 184.108.40.2067 release information October 2013
1) When exporting data to PhacoOptics from the Oculus Pentacam via the External Software Export option and this data included the axial length from a 3rd party biometer (Lenstar, Nidek, Tomey), this 3rd party axial length could in some instances be associated with the wrong eye. This bug has been fixed.
2) Double-clicking the axis field of the K-readings to enter the axis of posterior corneal radius gave an error when saving the data. This bug has been fixed to allow user to calculate the true net cylinder of the cornea from both anterior and posterior surface of the cornea.
PhacoOptics ® Version 220.127.116.111-16 release information May 2013
1) Toric IOL power calculation. The IOL calculation page has been added a button ‘?Cyl axis’ to solve for optimal toric axis given all variables including the posterior corneal astigmatism if available. This will increase the accuracy of toric power calculation and is useful when changing the conditions for toric axis calculation, i.e. changing the surgically induced astigmatism.
2) Lenstar import. When importing a complete dataset from Lenstar PhacoOptics will automatically select the C-constant approach (depending on anterior chamber depth + lens thickness, deselecting the K-reading and axial length) for improved, unbiased estimation of the IOL position (ELP).
3) Pentacam import. During import of the Pentacam data, PhacoOptics will automatically save a backup copy of the transfer file for later use. These backup files are renamed as *.bak files and stored in a separate folder, as can be set in the program settings. This makes it possible to access the files manually at a later time when looking up a case.
4) Pentacam import. The Pentacam software now offers the transfer of axial length measurements by optical biometry from 3rd party companies (Lenstar, TOMEY, NIDEK). If included in the Pentacam export, the axial length will also be imported by the PhacoOptics.
5) The extended ‘Find Old Patient’ dialog will now remember the sort settings for easy access.
PhacoOptics ® Version 18.104.22.1689-10 release information January 2013
These updates offer more flexibility on the data transfer between Haag-Streit Lenstar LS900 ® and PhacoOptics ®:
1. In automatic mode it is possible to run the Haag-Streit Lenstar Eyesuite software and the PhacoOptics software in parallel on different machines while the data are synchronized in the background.
2. In manual mode you can look-up previously exported data files from Lenstar at any time from PhacoOptics
PhacoOptics ® Version 22.214.171.1247-8 release information November 2012
A new version of the Pentacam ® software (version 18b20) makes it possible to export curvatures, q-values (asphericity) and astigmatism of the front and back surface of the cornea. This is especially important when calculating the IOL power in post-LASIK and keratoconus cases and when calculating the toric component and axis of a toric implant.
This release complies with the new Pentacam format and facilitates the data transfer. The PhacoOptics ® software will use the detailed information of the front and back surface of the cornea in the calculation of the spheric as well as the toric IOL power.
PhacoOptics ® Version 126.96.36.1995-6 release information October 2012
Contains updates on default IOL constants according to recent information on new IOL types.
PhacoOptics ® Version 188.8.131.522-4 release information August 2012
Minor release versions with fixes of date-format errors and other issues during Lenstar and IOLMaster import in different languages.
PhacoOptics ® Version 184.108.40.2061 release information July 2012 ===============================================================================================
This is a major release with significant improvements in the prediction of the IOL position and in the treatment of higher order aberrations (HOA) of the cornea and the IOL.
The major improvements include:
1. The C-constant has been fully incorporated in the prediction of the postoperative IOL position as a function of anterior chamber depth and lens thickness. The concept of the C-constant (patent pending) was developed by Professor Thomas Olsen as a simple, unbiased and accurate method to predict the IOL position as a fraction of the capsular bag size (lens thickness). As the C-constant bypasses the K-reading and the axial length dependence it is useful in post-LASIK corneas and other abnormal cases. You may check the video-link <here> or <here>.
2. The calculation of the corneal power has been improved based on recent studies on the true curvatures of front and back corneal surface and their ratio as well as their conic coefficients (asphericity). In order to deal with an increasing number of non-standard corneas like post-LASIK, keratoconus and post-keratoplasty cases PhacoOptics ® handles direct measurement of the anterior and posterior curvatures and the asphericity of both surfaces (Q-values). Based on ray-tracing the refractive effect of the non-sphericity of the cornea is taken into account without the use of ‘eguivalent’ K-readings.
3. A new field in the IOL file defines the Spherical Aberration (SA) correction of the IOL in terms of the Zernike Z(4,0) coefficient as stated by the manufacturer. Together with the corneal asphericity these HOAs add to the total refractive effect of the IOL and modulate the point-spread-function at the retina (image quality).
4. As a consequence, the ACD constants are now very close to the reality. Please observe that for the recommended IOL constants small corrections to earlier versions will apply: For spheric IOLs, the new ACD constants are typically 0.1 – 0.2 mm shorter than that of earlier versions. For aspheric IOLs, the difference is smaller. As before the program offers the option to transform the A-constant (in case this is a reliable starting point) into the effective ACD constant from the relevant information, now including the wavefront correction of higher order aberrations of the IOL.
PhacoOptics(R) Version 220.127.116.119-21 release information May 2012 ===============================================================================================
Minor cbanges have been made to facilitate data transfer between PhacoOptics and external software, including Lenstar (c) and Pentacam (c) instruments
PhacoOptics(R) Version 18.104.22.1689 release information November 2011 ===============================================================================================
A bug causing errors in sequential queries to the database during report- and other function-calls has been fixed.
PhacoOptics(R) Version 22.214.171.1248 release information October 2011 ===============================================================================================
The calculation of the post-LASIK case has been improved to ease input of front and back curvatures of the cornea, in case these measurements are available from Scheimpflug or other tomography analysis of the cornea. This concerns the so-called ‘non-history’ methods. In order to avoid the ‘double-K’ problem it is recommended to by-pass the K-reading dependence and make the ACD prediction from the preoperative ACD and lens thickness only to get superior results. PhacoOptics is the only program that can do this. To assist you in these difficult cases the on-line help menu and the manual have also been extended.
PhacoOptics(R) Version 126.96.36.1997 release information May 2011 ===============================================================================================
A bug affecting the preoperative refraction data has been fixed. The bug caused a change in preoperative K-readings to clear the refraction data if the dataset was incomplete for a calculation of the surgically induced astigmatism.
The report design screen has been improved. Now the user can select either both eyes, right eye, left eye or a maximum of one eye per case for analysis. This is useful for a statistical analysis of the number of eyes vs. number of patients in a given report.
PhacoOptics(R) Version 188.8.131.526 release information April 2011 ================================================================================================
A bug affecting the ACD prediction has been fixed. The bug caused a change in preoperative K-readings not to affect the ACD prediction accordingly. (The ACD-specific K-readings ‘K1-ACD’ and ‘K2-ACD’ can be seen in the bottom of the IOL-calculation page when pressing the ‘Details’-button).
With the fix, a change in preoperative K-readings will always affect the ACD-specific K-readings unless they are overwritten (an important example is the ‘double-K-method’ for post-LASIK cases). To update the ACD prediction with current values, press <F5> as usual. To by-pass the influence of K-reading and axial length on the ACD prediction, right-click the expected postoperative ACD-field of the IOL-calculation page and make the ACD prediction dependent on the preoperative ACD and lens thickness, only.
PhacoOptics(R) Version 184.108.40.2065 release information March 2011 ================================================================================================
The import of Lenstar® data has been improved. Two methods are now available:
A) Call of PhacoOptics® program from Lenstar®
B) Import of exported Lenstar® data to PhacoOptics®
The Lenstar® can be instructed to export data files automatically in the background onto a shared drive whenever a new examination has been completed (consult your Lenstar® manual). The xml-files thus exported can be accessed at any time by by PhacoOptics®, just like looking up an external data resource.
PhacoOptics(R) Version 220.127.116.114 release information March 2011 ================================================================================================
The report design screen has been improved in several ways:
– The individual report/limit variables can be moved up/down by clicking arrows on the right side of the panel
– By right clicking the limit variables table a pop/up menu allows the user to copy the report variables to the limit table for easy limit settings
– The report output screen has been added a button to select/copy all content to Windows clipboard
– The report output screen now has a menu to convert decimal points (comma/dot) to facilitate the transfer of numerical data to windows spreadsheets.
PhacoOptics(R) Version 18.104.22.1683 release information November 2010
To facilitate the selection of the toric cylinder the default axis of the toric implant in the IOL calculation page is now automatically adjusted according to the axis of the K-reading.
The report design form has been improved with the addition of buttons to alter the sequence of the selected report variables. The report result form now includes a button to copy text content to the clipboard for easy copy-and-paste of report result to Excel spreadsheets or other Windows applications.
PhacoOptics(R) Version 22.214.171.1242 release information September 2010
The ACD prediction algorithm has been updated according to recent results using the Haag-Streit Lenstar(c) optical biometer. This has been necessary because the accuracy by which the preoperative ACD and lens thickness can be measured with the Lenstar is much higher than with ultrasound.
A new user-option to individualize the ACD prediction according to axial length, preoperative ACD, lens thickness and K-reading has been made available. This option can be activated by right-clicking the predicted ACD field on the IOL Calculation Page and on the Operative Page. This allows the user to study the impact of the various ACD predictors and combinations thereof, and select the most appropriate one. An important usage is to unselect the K-reading dependence, which may be advantageous in post-LASIK cases.
An earlier automatic cut-off of out-of-range values for ACD prediction (i.e. preop ACD, lens thickness) has now been omitted. Due to the intelligent on-line error-checking, which can be set at various probability levels by the user the build-in cut-off was considered no longer necessary. The program now accepts all entered values for ACD and lens thickness as input variables for the postop ACD prediction. This may be of help when dealing with extreme eyes.
PhacoOptics(R) Version 126.96.36.1991 release information June 2010
Tool-bar buttons with icons for easy access to various program functions have been added at various places
PhacoOptics ® Version 188.8.131.520 release information March 2010
Haag-Streit Lenstar ® option
The program now supports Haag-Streit Lenstar LS 900® measurements of all axial intraocular distances (corneal thickness, anterior chamber depth, lens thickness and axial length). The higher accuracy of the Lenstar ® measurements of the anterior chamber depth and lens thickness as compared to ultrasound improves the estimation of the postoperative ACD using the PhacoOptics ® multiple-variable ACD algorithm. However, to fully benefit from the increased accuracy the field ‘source of biometry’ (drop-down box on preoperative page) now contains an additional item called ‘PCI used for all intraocular distances’ which should be selected when using Lenstar ® measurements. It is possible to set default values of the ‘source of biometry’ via the Program Settings/Biometry window.
Data import from Lenstar ®:
The export facility of Lenstar ® can be used to send data to the PhacoOptics ® program if the XML file exported by Lenstar ® is copied to the PhacoOptics ® program directory. If the PhacoOptics ® program is running and a case is opened, the file will automatically be imported. If the PhacoOptics ® program is not running, it can be started with the command line:
which will make the program proceed directly to a ‘New case’ to be populated with the transferred Lenstar ® data.
It is possible to double-click the K-reading fields for easy input of values for both the anterior and the posterior surface of the cornea as measured by Scheimpflug or OCT techniques. These values are used to:
Oculus Pentacam ® option
The program supports automatic import of data exported from Oculus Pentacam ® when the export facility of Pentacam ® is been activated as a ‘3rd party interface export’. When the Pentacam ® export file is copied to the PhacoOptics ® program directory, the data will automatically be imported into PhacoOptics ® when opening a case. If the program call contains the command-line parameter ‘new’ the program will go directly to new case, as explained under the ‘Lenstar ® option’ above.
The external data transfer functions of the Program Settings have been expanded to allow automatic / manual / overwrite on/off for import of external data and user defined export path for export services.
PhacoOptics ® Version 184.108.40.2069 release information February 2010
First stable release for download from the website. The following features have been included:
Old case retrieval
Patient retrieval for ‘Old case’ has been improved using indexing and on-line search of any case fields of the frontmost patient data page.
To ease input of often-used field entries in the ‘Find old case’ dialog as well as in the case record and other places in the program, it is now possible to save such sets of field entries through the use of macro buttons.
PhacoOptics ® Version 220.127.116.11x release information August 2009
PhacoOptics ® is distributed as a zip-compressed installation package:
containing a self-extractable installation setup program:
where ‘nnnnnnnnnn’ is the version number.
Most current Microsoft Windows © versions come with build-in unzipping facilities whereby you should unpack the setup program to a suitable location, ie the desktop. If you don’t have the unzip facility such programs can be found at several locations, for example:
When you run the PhacoOptics_Setup_nnnnnnnnnn.exe program, please follow the instructions to install the PhacoOptics ® program files on the computer. When finished, the program directory should contain the following files:
PhacoOptics.exe (the program file)
PhacoOptics.hlp (the on-line help file)
PhacoOptics.iol (the IOL data file)
PhacoOpticsManual.pdf (the manual, can be opened by Adobe Reader ©)
readme.txt (release notes)
Demo versus Run mode:
When running PhacoOptics ® in demo-mode, an evaluation screen will appear showing the current product-key (demo-key). It is recommended that you keep a copy of this product-key, as it can be converted into a run-key when purchasing the program.
After purchase of the program you will receive a run-key giving permanent and unrestricted access to the program. The licensed run-key can be entered in the product-key field of the evaluation screen, or it can be entered as the command-line parameter in the program call (this need only be done once):
Running the program:
When you enter the PhacoOptics ® program for the first time, a license screen will appear. You must accept the license agreement in order to access the program. The license agreement is also displayable in the Main form/Help menu.
Because the database of PhacoOptics ® may contain person-related information, access to the program will require a valid user identification and password which is administered by the system manager.
Thus, each time you enter PhacoOptics ®, you will be asked for user identification and password:
Default user: phaco
and password: optics
This key combination is the default access by the system manager. You can edit the user and password keys and add new users via the menu Edit/User security in the main window. The topmost user is always the system manager with administration privileges. For security reasons it is highly recommended that you change the user and password keys for the system manager shortly after beginning to use the program.
If you don’t want to type the user identification and password all the time, you may include it in the command line using the following syntax:
PhacoOptics.exe [userid] [password]
Before you do your first IOL calculation you should define the IOL constants of your preferred IOL types. This is done from the main window via the menu File/IOL File (shortkey <F5>) where you can enter IOL constants for each IOL type. At default, the IOL list contains some common IOL types, which may be used as examples only. It is highly recommended that you optimize your IOL constants based on your own clinical experience.
The help system can be activated at any time by pressing the function button ‘F1’. For the help system to work under Microsoft Windows © Vista. Win7, or Win8, however, a separate download of WinHlp32.exe from Microsoft Support may be necessary. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607). Note, that the PhacoOptics ® programme comes with an extensive manual (‘PhacoOopticsManual.PDF’) located in the program directory.
PhacoOptics ® was developed using Borland Delphi by Inprise Corporation to run under Microsoft Windows © 98, 2000, XP, Vista and 7 platforms. The runtime version was developed and compiled in collaboration with SSV Software Development, Copenhagen.
PhacoOptics ® is the registered trademark of Thomas Olsen, MD.
The website http://www.phacooptics.com is powered by IOL Innovations Aps.